Friday, November 28, 2008

Houston Dog Fight Bust

A commenter asked me how I knew the dogs in the Houston dog fighting bust had been euthanized, and I realized after I replied to him that I probably ought to have cited where I got that information. (I will be 100 percent honest here: I really didn't think anyone except for a couple of my friends and maybe my boyfriend ever logged in to read my blog, and they rarely question my sources.)

Anyway, got the info from a variety of places, but I had two sources that seemed to have the most definitive information on the subject of the dogs' fates:

The Houston Press' Hair Balls Column/Blog reported on Nov. 21 that the Houston SPCA spokeswoman Meera Nandlal told it:

“These animals are bred from a long line of fighting dogs to be aggressive,” Houston SPCA spokeswoman Meera Nandlal told Hair Balls this morning. “We have made the decision that they will be humanely euthanized.”


The same SPCA spokeswoman told a community paper called the Beaumont Enterprise that the Houston SPCA will "humanely euthanize these animals" because they "have been bred from a long-line of fighting dogs."

That last comment, by the way, made me laugh a little bit because pretty much all APBTs in America--at least the ones that actually *are* APBTs, not the multiple dogs people mistake for APBTs--are descended from long lines of fighting dogs. Really long, in fact. Going back to, like, England and Ireland in the 19th century. Still, the people who bred them often trusted them around their kids and treated them like any other working dog.

Now, maybe there was a misunderstanding--maybe the SPCA spokeswoman meant they would make an exception for *some* of the dogs or that they would evaluate them first for adoptability or that she *thought* they'd be euthanized. But she sounds pretty sure in these quotes, and I have to say: Based on the setup in the days leading up to these stories where she said they would be euthanizing the dogs, the SPCA and other humane types were doing all they could to prepare people for the fact that there was no way these dogs were leaving the shelters alive. But really--from the get-go they were telling us they were conditioned killing machines that couldn't be pets. It seems to me that the intention was clear from the start here.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:11 AM

    You're a link at the PETCONNECTION blog now, so expect lots of visitors!

    Do you think there's ANY hope that these dogs haven't been killed yet?

    EmilyS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for replying. I came to your blog via the Pet Connection. I have posted on the topic today:
    http://yesbiscuit.blogspot.com/2008/11/saving-fight-dogs-its-not-just-for.html

    I too hope there has been a misunderstanding and/or that the Houston SPCA can be influenced by some positive action.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, I really doubt that the dogs have been kept alive . . . If they intend to euthanize them, and they are certain that they are not going to give them a chance to live, then they're using up valuable kennel space in a shelter.

    Plus, the Houston SPCA has a history of euthanizing pit bulls--they have a no-adopt policy, when it comes to pit bulls, if I'm not mistaken. But that probably ought to be verified with the shelter itself.

    ReplyDelete